Q: WHEN CAN I APPLY?
A: The application period has closed. Thank you for your participation!
Q: HOW DO I CHOOSE AN INDUSTRY?
A: Here are brief descriptions for each of the industry categories.
- AGRICULTURE & ANIMAL INNOVATION: Do you have an innovative product in the agriculture industry? We're looking for people making a difference using apps, tools, or technology to better the agriculture industry.
- MEDICAL & HEALTH TECHNOLOGY: Do you have an idea that uses the application of organized knowledge and skills in the form of devices, medicines, vaccines, procedures and systems developed to solve a health problem and improve the quality of lives? This category is for you!
- MANUFACTURING/TRANSPORTATION?PRODUCT: Are you manufacturing the next big product or making a new scientific breakthrough? If you make a product or work in a lab or factory setting, this could be the contest for you!
- FINANCIAL TECHNOLOGY/INSURANCE/BUSINESS SERVICES: Does your idea use new technology and innovation to leverage available resources in order to compete in the marketplace of traditional financial institutions in the delivery of financial services? Have something to do with making the insurance industry better? Or provide your service to businesses? Enter your innovation under this category!
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY: This industry covers the use of computers and mobile devices to solve problems and manipulate data.
Q: I DON’T SEE AN INDUSTRY THAT FITS MY BUSINESS? CAN I STILL APPLY?
A: Go ahead and select to apply for the industry that looks closest to you. Once we review your application, we will help you figure out which one best fit.
Q: CAN I APPLY IF I AM A NON-PROFIT COMPANY?
A: Unfortunately, Iowa's Great Idea Challenge is designed to assist for-profit businesses only. To see what other grants may be available, or for other financial assistance, please contact the University of Iowa Nonprofit Resource Center.
Q: CAN I APPLY IF I HAVEN’T ESTABLISHED MY BUSINESS YET? (I'M STILL IN THE PLANNING STAGES)
A: Yes, you can apply if your business idea is located in Iowa and is for-profit. If you are entering into the Pre-Revenue contest, you should not have made a sale. You should absolutely submit your idea, regardless of how early you are in exploring the idea of entrepreneurship. This is the purpose of the Iowa's Great Idea Challenge contest.
Q: HOW MUCH OF MY APPLICATION WILL BE MADE PUBLIC?
A: Everything that you include in your application will be visible to both the judges and public on the Iowa's Great Idea Challenge website.
Q: WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING TO MY COACHING APPOINTMENT?
A: Please have your PowerPoint and presentation script ready to give for our Venture Net coaching. We will start with this, then provide feedback. Also bring any handouts or additional items you plan to give to the judges during the pitch-Off event.
Q: CAN I GIVE YOU MY HANDOUTS AT VENTURE NET COACHING TO HOLD ONTO UNTIL ENTREFEST?
A: Please bring whatever handouts you’re planning on using for your pitch to your coaching appointment, however, you will need to bring your handouts again to EntreFEST. We are not responsible for finalists’ handouts.
None of these FAQs answer the questions I have.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will try to respond within 72 hours.